Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Sad Cobras

2 and a half years ago I went to see a concert in Roanoke, VA. I didn't know who The Sad Cobras were. At that point in time, I had never seen a local band that played the type of music that I listen to. I remember it probably took them 30 minutes to set up their faulty equipment, which included a Magnus chord organ. I was getting really excited watching them set up, because I love interesting equipment. They started their set by taping down a key on a synthesizer and letting it drone for a while, then went into the song "Gisella".

From that point on I was having the time of my life. Every song they played, including a cover of "Young Turks," seemed perfect to me.

Since then I've seen them perform probably a dozen times, bought all of their records, made friends with them, recorded with them, and now I'm posting them on my blog. Three of the members are also in The Young Sinclairs. Like The Young Sinclairs (below), I've been dying to put them on this page since I created it, but I was waiting for the right time. Now they have a new full-length album out titled "No More Graves." It's probably one of the best records you'll hear this year, and I'm going to tell you about them first. You'll thank me for this.

I'm posting a zip file of three songs: Bernice, Bodycast, and My Fondest Memory. I think those songs give you a good perspective over what the album is like, but you'll have to buy the album to hear my two favorite songs "Infirmary Ghost," and "No More Graves."

The Sad Cobras are one of my favorite bands period, regardless of knowing them or not. They are the most played artist on my Last.fm page, and have a lot of influence on the music I make today. I'm interested to hear what you think about them, so leave a comment... and don't forget to check out their Myspace page for more songs and buy their CD, they're going to be huge (its $8). Just last Saturday I saw them, and it was just as enthralling as the first time I saw them, except this time there were a lot more people, and about 3 or 4 people videotaping the performance. The only thing I could say during the entire show was "We are experiencing music history."

No comments:

Post a Comment